History of Community Development in Pakistan
Community development programs were slowly and gradually developed in Pakistani society due to its rigidity, traditionalism and resistance. The change started with the development technology, economy and other changes in community people as well as in cities and villages.
The development process starts through a series of evolutionary stages in the field of economy, political achievements and social stability. The history of community development in pakistan started 1950.
- In Pakistan social welfare or community development subject was introduced in 1951.
- First United Nations advisor came to Pakistan in March 1952, analyzed the problems and arranged various developmental trainings for the development of the community.
- First short term training was conducted in Karachi, in October 1952 for 6 months.
- Second short term training course was conducted in Dacca in September 1953 for 3 months.
- Fist social welfare office and officer was appointed in 1953.
- Fourth training course conducted in Karachi in August 1954 for 3 months.
- First community development project, as a training center was established in Malir.
- First medical social service project was established in T.B Center Karachi in 1953.
- First urban community development project was established in February 1954 in Lyari, Karachi.
- First administration budget for social welfare made in 1953-54.
- With the creation of one unit in October 1955, the department of social welfare ad local government was established in West Pakistan.
- Professional social work education started in November 1954 in Punjab University and master level studies in 1956.
- Provincial council of social welfare formed in October 1956.
- Subordinate office of social welfare was made in September 1956.
- Social welfare central directorate was established in 1959.
- Social welfare as a subject transferred to province in May 1962.
- Part time Director of Social Welfare was appointed in June 1962 and full time in January 1964.
- Directorate General of Social Welfare was divided into four provinces in June 1970.
After the division of Directorate General of Social Welfare in each province, they did many developmental activities and work for the improvement of the community.