Characteristics of Society - Sociology Notes
Following are the characteristics of society.
- society is a largest human group.
- It satisfies the needs of its members.
- One of the characteristic of society is having sense of belonging and cooperation. It is more or less permanent association
- It is abstract (Because social relationships can be felt and imagined and cannot be seen).
- Everyone in society is dependent upon every other member.
- It should be organized i.e. will be having division of labor.
- It will be having likeness and differences. Due to these differences, variety in human behaviors and division of labor and specialization of roles is there.
- "There is consciousness of kind." Among the members of society.
- It is always changing.
- It has its own means to survive.
- It is a self-sufficient social system.
- It lasts for a longer period of time than groups and communities.
- It will form a social structure through social institutions i.e. family, education economic, political and religious institutions. These basic five institutions are found in all societies of the world.
- One of the characteristic of society has its own culture.