How to Discipline Students
Schools have responsibility to provide educational foundation and lead the students a successful independent and successful lives. However increasing indiscipline among students in classrooms can cause hurdles to achieve the desired goals. How to maintain discipline in school and classroom for effective learning environment in an important task for school administration and class teacher. Following are the guiding principles to solve discipline problem in a school:
- The basis of discipline should be mutual love between the teacher and the student. There should be no element of fear, because discipline based on fear does not serve its end. On the basis of respect alone mutual confidence may be created between the teachers and the students.
- The student remains in the school for about 6 or 7 hours and the remaining time is spent either at home or in society. Evidently, the responsibility of inculcating strictness in the students does not fall only on the school. If the co-operation of those persons who are closely related with students is available it will not be difficult to behave the students in the class.
- The early days, corporal punishment was an important source of maintain discipline in the classroom and a teacher will act like a substitute parent and they were allowed to punish and reward them. They often use birch, yardstick or strap etc. if pupils misbehave in classroom. It should not be enforced on the basis of punishment. Punishment should he given only when it is unavoidable.
- It is one of the demands of a democratic set up that each individual should have, control over himself. The students should be made responsible for the establishment of discipline amongst themselves, because in this way they will exercise control over themselves and will4 exert a good influence over the others.
- To reduce student behavior problems in school it is necessary to provide in the school the necessary facilities for study and teaching.
- It is necessary in the interest of observing the rules and regulations of the school, but it is also includes the observance of the laws of society, that is, it is not confined to the school only but is related to the whole life.
If we place before the students the above-mentioned principles from the very beginning can reduce discipline problem in school.