Social Problems Definition
A condition or a situation which a bunch of people in the community consider as being undesirable is called social problem. These problems can be traffic deaths, murders, crime and more. They can be the general factors which influence and damage the society. Social problems today might be viewed differently by different people. For example, not all people consider playing loud music in the park a social issue but as some consider it undesirable, therefore, it is a problem. The news is always filled with stories about undesirable situations which have now become a common practice.
Violence, crime, drug abuse, environmental problems are some of the social problems in the world. There is a whole list of them:
- Drug abuse
- Global warming
- Tax reforms
- World population
- Environmental pollution
- Discrimination on the basis of religion
- Child labor
- Gender issues
Examples of Social Problems
Social problems today are what we never used to encounter years back. Each day, they are getting worst and worst. For example, health problem is a social issue because the number of patients is increasing who are being diagnosed from life threatening diseases like AIDS and cancer. Due to lack of proper healthcare reform, this problem has taken the form of a social issue.
Another example is the situation of teens. They have to frequently get exposed to the society that is full of misguidance. Within less time, they become involved in alcohol abuse, eating disorders and even stress. They often commit suicides. In America, 8 teens die each day because of drunk driving. That is not the only issue teens have to face, they even have to encounter violence. One in two rape victims is an individual who is under the age of 18. That shows even the society is not safe for the teens.
Among the many social problems in America, some common ones have been listed below:
- Women have to fight for equality of rights and similar other gender specific social issues. They have to face trouble and violence because of the gender. Sexism has always been the hot issue in the American society.
- Freedom of speech, freedom of press, issues of political freedom and civil rights are common issues that Americans mostly talk about.
- Yes, even education is a problem in America. Issues like student loan debt are taking the life of students by storm. If you want good education, then you need a loan whether you like it or not,
- Freedom from discrimination is an issue too. This racism is against not just Muslims but elderly people and more.
- The need of better transportation and roads so that the horrible traffic jams could be avoided.
- Finding the right employment opportunity to move up the ladder of success in career building is not easy. There are still many talented people who don’t have better job opportunities or they are unemployed.
The list just goes on and on. The Current social Problems range from bad to worst. They must be addressed otherwise the society might become unsafe and unhealthy and this could influence the lives of the next generation. Although, there are laws available but they have hardly helped in curing all the social issues. It is believed that a huge societal reform would be required for this purpose. Severe punishment is the only thing that will make the criminals want to refrain from causing trouble. The need of the hour is to hire the most responsible authorities for making strict laws and ensure that these laws are implemented throughout the country.